Sunday, December 20, 2009

5 of 30

I recently accepted a challenge created by one of my twitter friends called 30 in 30. The idea is to write/post a new poem every day for 30 days. This promises to be very interesting for me seeing as how I've been going through some personal struggles as of late. At any rate, here's my fifth offering...


Pardon me while I panic


I'm afraid of losing your scent forever
Already I am having a hard time remembering things about you
Things you told me...the sound of your voice
I don't want to lose the images and sounds of you throwing your head back and lauhging boisterously
I so miss your arms around me
I miss your smile and your "don't bullshit me" look
I miss our Thusday night dinners
And you complaining about your job
I miss your long fingers gripping cards during bid whist games
I even miss your drunken rants on wholeliedays
You will miss Courtney and Kari's high school and college graduations
You will miss your great-grandchildren
You will miss all five of your children being together in one room
And I'm panicking
Because we are not on a break
I cannot hop in my car and drive 20 minutes to see you
You will not be telling me you love me and calling me your birthday present
I will celebrate our birthday alone
Pardon me while I panic
I can't accept that you're gone

1 comment:

Copper Soul said...

But she will. What type of spirit would she be? She might show you the ultimate love for yourself you may be barely missing. She can aid in correcting the souls of your children when they need some wrongs righted. She, no matter what the circumstances, loves and looks over your family, along with the egungun, to maintain your way. Believe that. She will be there for their graduation in spirit. She will listen to your calls at the altar. She will, and she is. Let pain be temporary, and memory be forever. Iba'se Egun!!!