Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tie it then dye it: Breaking out of the safe zone




Dearest fair maidens, dashing divas and glamorous gals,

How are you? Feeling fab I hope :-)

Today was the most wonderfully perfect day! The weather in the Chi wasn't too hot nor was it too cool, the sun shone just right and I spent some QT with my daughter and one of her besties. Another special thing about today is the fact that my daughter and I collaborated (somewhat) on my outfit today and then she and her friend played photographer for me, lol. This is my first true outfit of the day blog and I'm kind of excited to share :-D


Before I get into what I wore, I'd like to point out that I am still trying to find my voice when it come to my personal style. Typically, I dress "safe". By that I mean, I stay away from bright colors and patterns, my style usually lacks any kind of flair and I prefer to keep under the radar. But I am so very tired of safe, I'm so tired of all neutral/black/white/primary colors everything. I want to add some boldness to my repertoire! I want to live out louder! And in the spirit of this desire, I totally went against my nature and wore something that is very not me: Tie  Dye. Yikes!


Tie dye is as loud, funky and chaotic as one can get and that's why I included it in today's outfit. So without further ado, I present me tied, dyed and everything BUT laid to the side!























































DIY tie die shirt (made by my daughter, sleeves and neck hem removed by me, lol)
Black tulip mini skirt from Alloy
Brown gladiator sandals from Target (seen here) 
Thrifted studded black crossbody bag
DIY brass key necklace
Earrings from unremembered store
Antiqued brass keyhole ring from Crossroads
Brass sparrow two finger ring from F21
Wooden bracelet with "gold" & "silver" hammered discs from Alloy



Photographs by Courtney & Mattie :-)









6 comments:

Chic Therapy said...

i love it!!!you matched it well with that classic black skirt..the bag is so fabulous!!I love you hair too :-)

Nicole said...

Thanks CT! I thought about trying to pair that top with a patterned skirt but decided it might be too much, lol. The black worked out well (at first I thought it'd be too obvious). I love that bag too, it was $2. I love my locs to, they're getting really long :-)

Thanks for stopping by!

VinayH said...

I really like your vibe... you have a good heart and it shows in your style! I followed!
VinayH

Nicole said...

Thanks so much Vinay! I LOVE your blog, it's one of my faves. I hope you'll be posting something new soon *hint hint* ;-)

Make sure you send me your email addy for the Peace Images Ankh ring give away!

Shan (Gimme That!) said...

You already know I love everything about this look. :D

EGO TRIP AND FASHION said...

lovely outfit especially the skirt :)

Leighton.